Building a website used to require significant knowledge of programming languages like HTML and CSS or a large budget for a web designer. Today, however, there are many different free website builders. These website builders allow you to create a beautiful site in a matter of hours, no programming skills or budget required.
In this article, we will take a look at the six best free website builders and help you choose the right option for your business. All of these website builders offer a free plan. Most also offer premium plans with additional features.
⚙️ Main features
- Access to a wide range of professionally designed website templates, searchable by industry.
- Built in drag-and-drop store builder and image editor.
- Photo galleries.
- Mobile optimization.
- Huge variety of add-ons and integrations available to allow for full site customization
- Ability to create multiple free websites on one account.
- Wix AI website builder – create a website in a matter of minutes by answering a few simple questions.
- There are an enormous number of free templates available, designed with a variety of industries and interests in mind. There are also hundreds of design elements such as stock photos and clipart available to help you customize your site.
- All templates are fully customizable, allowing you to create your ideal website.
- Wix offers free websites hosted on subdomains. You can create as many free websites as you desire.
- Sites come with tools for SEO, social media integration, analytics, and marketing tools.
- There are so many different options and settings that Wix can be overwhelming for new users.
- Storage and bandwidth are both limited to 500MB on the free plan.
- You can’t switch your site template later on. You’re stuck with the template you’ve picked during setup.
All in all, Wix is one of the best free website builders for business owners who are completely new to website design. The enormous number of templates and features available allow you to create any type of website you can dream up. However, the blogging function is rather limited. The limited amount of storage also makes Wix a poor choice for a blog-based website.
⚙️ Main features
- Blank canvas option that allows you to design your ideal website from scratch.
- Large variety of pre-designed templates to choose from.
- Ability to create two different websites on one free plan.
- Full ecommerce functionality.
- Fully customizable CMS (Content Management System).
- Built-in SEO tools.
- Integration with Google Analytics and a variety of other marketing tools.
- Ability to create up to two websites for free.
- 10GB of storage space on all free sites + $0.50/month per GB after that
- Webflow offers a high level of customization on all of their templates.
- Webflow offers several community resources for their members including forums, video tutorials, and ebook guides.
- The 10GB of storage space and affordable extra storage make it easy to scale your website with minimal spending.
- Bandwidth for all sites is unlimited, even on the free plan.
- The design interface is reminiscent of Adobe programs like Photoshop or InDesign; this might actually make it easier for graphic designers to use, but can make it intimidating to non-designers looking to build their first website.
Webflow is an excellent website building tool designed to make it so that everyone, regardless of coding experience, can make a website “as easily as they create documents now”. However, the interface seems to be designed with graphic designers in mind. If you love the Adobe Suite, this is a great option for you. Otherwise, you might want to consider one of the other free website builders on this list.
⚙️ Main features
- Dozens of easily customizable website templates.
- Easy-to-use blogging interface.
- Built-in analytics and other marketing tools provided by Jetpack.
- Free SSL certification.
- Ability to build unlimited free websites on one account.
- Unlimited bandwidth on all plans, including the free one.
- All of the tools you need to design a high-quality blog-based website.
- You can buy a custom domain through WordPress.com without needing to invest in one of their premium plans.
- You can use WordPress.com to create as many websites as you want.
- Unlimited bandwidth ensures that your site will never crash, regardless of how many people visit.
- Lack of built-in ecommerce functionality at the free level; ecommerce stores are only available with Business plans, and only US and Canadian users can take advantage of this functionality right now.
- You might find that this version of the WordPress software is a bit limited compared to the self-hosted WordPress that you can get from WordPress.org. Here’s the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org for more context.
WordPress.com is a little different from other tools on this list. Rather than being designed as a website builder, WordPress.com was originally conceived of as a blogging tool. This means that it doesn’t use the drag-and-drop editor format. It also lacks ecommerce functionality. Overall, this option is best for people who want to build a website around a blog rather than the other way around.
⚙️ Main features
- Access to a variety of fully customizable templates.
- Drag-and-drop builder.
- Photo galleries and embedded video via YouTube.
- Add external widgets and other HTML with ease.
- HTTPS security.
- Access to Jimdo Dolphin, an intelligent web builder that does everything for you based on a few specifications.
- Mobile apps for both website builders, allowing you to create and edit websites from your phone.
- Both of the Jimdo free website builders are incredibly simple to use, and Jimdo Dolphin can put together a website for you in under three minutes.
- The ability to add HTML allows for complete customization.
- The basic plan of Jimdo only allows you to create up to five web pages, which significantly limits its use.
- The blog function is somewhat complicated to set up.
- Bandwidth is limited to 2GB/month on the free plan
If you want something that will allow you to create a simple site in a matter of minutes, Jimdo is an excellent choice. However, this might not be the best option if you’re looking to start a blog.
5. Constant Contact
⚙️ Main features
- Unlimited storage.
- Access to basic analytics.
- Automatic social media sharing.
- Contact management tools to help you keep track of the people who interact with your site.
- Lead generator forms that automatically add contacts to the built-in contact management database.
- Free AI logo maker.
- Full ecommerce functionality, including coupon creation and discounting.
- Constant Contact offers the majority of features available on premium plans on the free plan.
- This website builder is explicitly focused on lead generation and growing your email list.
- The templates currently available are less attractive than those provided by other free website builders.
- The backend suffers from semi-regular glitches.
Constant Contact is a good choice for business owners who want to build complex ecommerce websites for free. It also offers some of the best functionality for growing an email list.
⚙️ Main features
- Drag-and-drop editor makes it easy to build your website without code.
- Access to a large library of professionally designed templates.
- Mobile app that allows you to build and edit your website from your phone.
- Free SSL certification included.
- Advanced analytics and SEO tools.
- Instagram feed integration.
- Compatibility with a wide range of add-ons to increase functionality.
- There are numerous add-ons available that can be used to create things like paid memberships and other ambitious projects.
- Good onboarding and tutorials on how to get started with the platform.
- Lets you tune up your photos via the built-in image editor. There’s no need to process your pictures prior to uploading them to Weebly.
- The blog functionality of Weebly sites is not as extensive or flexible as the blogging capabilities of other free website builders.
- Storage is limited to 500MB on the free plan.
Weebly is an excellent choice for online portfolios or simple sites. However, if you want to build your site around a blog, you may want to choose one of the other options on this list instead.
Final thoughts on the best free website builders
In the end, the best website builder for you is the one that a) has all of the functionality you need and b) is intuitive for your mind to use. This means you might need to play around with a couple of different options in order to find the right one.
If you’re not sure which one to start with, take a look at the table below:
|Bandwidth on free plan||500MB||Unlimited||10GB||Unlimited||2GB||500MB|
|Storage on free plan||500MB||Unlimited||3GB||3GB||5 pages, 500MB||500MB|
|Drag and drop editor||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|eCommerce functionality||Premium only||✅ (limited to 3 products on free plan)||✅||❌||✅||US/Canada only|
|SEO tools||✅||❌||✅||✅||Only with upgrade||✅|
|Integrations with popular tools||✅||Limited integrations available||❌||✅||❌||✅|
Which one of these free website builders sounds ideal for your business? Let us know in the comments section below!
Don’t forget to join our crash course on speeding up your WordPress site. With some simple fixes, you can reduce your loading time by even 50-80%:
Or start the conversation in our Facebook group for WordPress professionals. Find answers, share tips, and get help from other WordPress experts. Join now (it’s free)!